Not sure what to write about? These blog ideas will inspire you.
We compiled a list of topics you can write about today—regardless of your niche. Plus, prompts and advice to help you come up with your own ideas.
Blog Ideas by Topic
Good blog topics vary according to your niche (the central theme of your blog).
But many topics work universally. Check them out below.
You can also find blog ideas by topic:
Business | Finance | Technology | Fashion | Beauty | Home | Lifestyle | Fitness | Travel | Leisure and Entertainment | Food and Drink
You can tailor these blog writing topics to almost any niche. So, you’re sure to find something that will interest your audience.
- Write about a goal you achieved and how you did it
- Write about a mistake you made and what you learned
- Answer frequently asked questions
- Share your must-have toolkit
- Share a “day in the life” of a person in your niche
- Share the most important truths in your niche
- Debunk a myth
- Ask experts to predict upcoming trends
- Share money-saving tips relevant to your niche
- Share eco-friendly tips relevant to your niche
- Create a list of upcoming events
- Compile a list of quotes
- Write about the latest trends
- Create a themed timeline of historical events related to your niche
If your audience consists of business owners and professionals, these are some of the best blog topics to write about.
- Share business success stories
- Write about business failures and why they happened
- Interview successful business people
- Write about industry news and share your insights
- Create templates for key documents
- Analyze market developments and opportunities
- Share productivity tips
- Write guides on sales, marketing, and other key topics
- Create career development guides
- Compile must-have tools and software
- Review relevant products and services
- Write compliance guides
- Attend a business event and write a summary
- Summarize the findings of an industry report
Here are some finance blog content ideas to inspire you.
- Share budgeting advice and templates
- Try a side hustle and write about your experience
- Compare financial products
- Review financial products
- Compile the best shopping deals
- Write investment guides for beginners
- Share stock market predictions
- Write about financial news and how it could impact your audience
- Explain the basics of cryptocurrency
Side note: When writing about finance, it’s important to demonstrate E-E-A-T (Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness).
Technology is great for blog article ideas. Because there’s always something new to write about. Here are some topics you could try.
- Predict how AI will affect different industries
- Write about the latest technological developments
- Interview people who work in the tech industry
- Review the latest products
- Compare consumer electronics by category
- Create a timeline showing how a piece of technology evolved
- Write troubleshooting guides for common issues
- Predict the next unicorn companies
These are some of the top blog topics in the fashion world. Apply your own sense of style to give them a unique spin. And make sure to include high-quality images.
- Review new clothing collections and items
- Give clothing recommendations by body type
- List your favorite items by theme (e.g., little black dresses)
- “Get the look”—tell readers how to emulate a celebrity outfit
- “Street style”—interview stylish passers-by about their outfits
- List your staple wardrobe must-haves
- Create style guides for different occasions
- Write clothing, shoe, and accessory care guides
- Provide closet organization tips
- Share the latest sales and discount codes
- Go to a fashion show and write about your experience
Product reviews and tutorials usually dominate beauty blogs. But there are lots of other blog writing ideas you can try.
- Share your beauty routine
- Create “get the look” makeup tutorials
- Create a beauty treatment planner for brides-to-be
- Provide hair care tips by hair type
- Write guides to skin care ingredients
- Write product reviews and tutorials
- Interview beauty influencers
- List your favorite products by type
- Compare designer products against dupes
Help readers make their homes more beautiful or functional. Sharing unique tips and ideas will help your content stand out.
- Write “get the look” interior design guides
- Write guides on upcycling furniture
- Review home decor products
- Share organization tips for every room
- Discuss the latest interior design trends
- List your favorite products by category
- Provide tips for decorating a rental
- Create step-by-step DIY guides
- Share holiday decor inspiration
Lifestyle blogs are usually about inspiring people to live a happier life. If you focus on topics you’re passionate about, you’re more likely to connect with your readers.
- Share your personal story
- Go to events with your kids and review the experience
- Write gift guides for different people and occasions
- Ask readers to send in their problems and share your advice
- Share tips for better sleep
- Compile the best time-saving tips
- Write about the benefits of meditation
Fitness blogs should motivate and educate. Tailoring your content to people with certain goals and fitness levels will help you carve out a niche.
- Create workout plans by goal
- Share your own workout routine
- Review fitness trackers and apps
- List the upcoming races in your area
- Share tips on recovering from injuries
- Go to a fitness class and write about your experience
- Share a workout playlist
- Recommend the best workout clothes
If you’re a travel blogger, your own adventures will inspire the best blog post ideas. But these are some of the most popular topics to write about.
- List the must-see attractions in a location
- Share tips for getting the best photographs
- Write packing guides for every type of trip
- Share travel deals and money-saving tips
- Create etiquette guides for different places and situations
- Recommend the best restaurants in a location
- Go on a tour and write about your experience
- Write in-depth reviews of your accommodation
- Create itineraries for popular trips
- Interview locals in places you visit
- Explain how to get around in key locations
Leisure and Entertainment
When writing leisure and entertainment blogs, you need to engage like-minded people. Don’t be afraid to inject your opinions and personality.
- Review the latest movies
- Create beginner’s guides for different crafts
- Share your reading goals and progress updates
- Create video game walk-throughs and strategy guides
- List your favorite board games by category
- Go to an art workshop and write about your experience
- Rank your top 10 TV shows by genre
- Create gift guides for franchise fans
- Attend a sports event and write a summary
- List the can’t-miss releases of the next year
Food and Drink
Whether you’re more of a chef or a critic, make sure to try new things. That way, you can inspire your readers to do the same.
- Create unique recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and drinks
- Create meal plans for different goals
- List creative ways to use one ingredient
- Share tips for creating meals on a budget
- Give advice on adapting to different dietary requirements
- Review restaurants, bars, and cafes
- Compile a list of your favorite recipe books
- Write about the best meal you ever had
- Create culinary cheat sheets (e.g., measurement conversions)
- Give an introduction to different cooking techniques
- Create buying guides for kitchen products
Types of Blog Posts
Have a general idea of what to write about but need to make it more specific?
Consider the different formats your article could take.
Here are 17 types of blog posts to inspire you:
1. How-To Guides
How-to guides teach the reader how to do something. You can break the instructions down into numbered steps.
People want to solve all kinds of problems and achieve all kinds of things. So, there’s lots of potential for blog post ideas.
For example: How to Get Backlinks: 10 Strategies That Work
Ready to write your own? Use this how-to blog post template.
2. Comparison Posts
Comparison posts help readers to compare different options. Usually products, tools, or services.
For example: Who Has the Best Backlink Database? Semrush vs. Competitors [Study]
People reading these posts are typically on the verge of making a purchase decision. As a result, comparison posts can be effective at generating revenue.
On an affiliate blog, you can earn commission from any referrals you make.
On a business blog, you can encourage readers to pick you over a competitor. Or help readers to choose between your own offerings.
You can use this comparison article template to get started.
Listicles are articles that take the form of a list. You can compile tips, products, statistics, events, quotes, and more.
For example: 13 Best Google Analytics Alternatives for 2023
Listicles get 80% more traffic than other types of articles. They are also more likely to generate links and shares.
Use the listicle content template to write your own.
A checklist is an exhaustive list that helps readers achieve or prepare for something. Sort of like a cross between a listicle and a how-to guide.
For example: The Ultimate Social Media Management Checklist
5. Complete Guides
A complete guide provides an in-depth explanation of a topic. You could also call it an introduction, 101, beginner’s guide, or ultimate guide.
Complete guides are great for bringing lots of related resources together.
For example: The Complete Guide to Website Sitemaps
6. Buying Guides
Buying guides provide shopping advice for a type of product. These posts help readers understand different features and find the right fit.
For example: Buying the best coffee machine
Buying guides are great for driving traffic to your (or your affiliates’) product category pages. You can also include specific product recommendations.
Interview someone who can provide insights into your niche. Readers love to learn from others and get insight into their lives.
Plus, demonstrating experience and expertise can help with your Google rankings.
You could interview an influencer, colleague, or industry expert. Or anyone with an interesting story to tell.
Or, get quotes from multiple people in your niche to create a Q&A.
For example: An Ecommerce Q&A: The Industry’s Best Share Their Strategies for 2022
8. Personal Stories
In addition to interviewing others, you can tell your own story. Share unique insights and experiences that others can learn from.
Being open and honest will help you build connections with your readers.
For example: How I Made $300+ In A Morning
9. Case Studies
A case study details one person’s (or organization’s) experience with something. It could be a product, service, or strategy.
On a business blog, you can talk about your own customers’ success. On an affiliate blog, you can share inspirational stories from your niche.
For example: Family team grows side hustle blog into $200,000 a year business in 18 months
10. Thought Leadership
Thought leadership is sharing your wisdom and influencing opinions. This can be a great way to start conversations in your niche and establish yourself as an authority.
For example: Zero-Click Searches Are on the Rise—But Marketers Shouldn’t Be Scared
According to Semrush research, 91.4% of organizations doing thought leadership write articles.
Interested in getting started? Check out our complete guide to thought leadership for business.
11. News Articles
Keeping an eye on the news in your niche is a great way to generate new blog post ideas. Try to add unique insights or opinions so your articles stand out.
Event and research summaries can be particularly useful.
You can share company news when you reach milestones or make changes that could impact your audience.
For example: Our Recent Traffic Data Update Brings You Better Insights
Side note: For more significant company news, consider writing a press release.
12. Review Posts
Review posts are in-depth evaluations of products, services, or experiences.
For example: The 9 Best SERP Tracking Tools Reviewed
Reviews are common on affiliate blogs. That’s because writers earn money for successful referrals.
13. Question Posts
Question posts answer one or more frequently asked questions.
For example: SEO Pricing: How Much Does SEO Cost in 2022?
Writing for a business blog? Avoid questions about customer service. Your company should answer these on FAQ pages instead.
14. Original Research
Conduct original research (such as a survey or data analysis) and share your findings in a blog post.
For example: Top Trending Topics in 2023: What People Talk About Online
Other writers may cite your findings in their own articles. This means that original research can help you generate backlinks. Which can provide more traffic and higher rankings in search engines.
Consider including infographics to make your data more engaging.
15. Gift Guides
Gift guides provide gift ideas by theme (such as occasion, recipient, or budget). They are popular on affiliate and business blogs because they drive traffic to product pages.
For example: Mother’s Day Gifts Mamas Will Love
16. Cheat Sheets
Cheat sheets or crib sheets are quick-reference guides. They help readers remember or learn key information on a topic.
The information should be easily digestible. Try presenting it in a visual or table format.
For example: Google Search Operators Cheat Sheet
Create useful templates for your readers to use. These could be documents, spreadsheets, emails, or images.
For example: 9 Marketing Report Templates & Examples for SEO, SEM & More
You may need to attach templates to your posts as downloadable files. In the body of the post, explain the benefits of using them. And provide tips on how to fill them out.
How to Find Blog Post Ideas
You don’t have to rely on lists or your imagination to come up with blog post ideas.
Here are six content ideation techniques to help you out:
1. Research Competing Blogs
Other blogs’ ideas for content in your niche can be a valuable source of inspiration.
You can find competitors’ blogs yourself using Google. Then have a look around and see what inspires you.
However, it is useful to know which posts are most popular with readers. Semrush’s Organic Research tool will give you that information.
Just enter a competitor’s blog domain (e.g., blogname.com) or subfolder (e.g., website.com/blog).
Then choose a location and click “Search.”
Then, head over to the “Pages” tab to see their most visited URLs. (The results are sorted by estimated Google traffic, from high to low.)
In this example, one of the most visited pages is about bee identification. If you were a gardening blogger, you might add this to your list of blog post ideas.
You can click on the URL to get more data. (Such as its keyword rankings in Google and estimated traffic.) Or click on the button beside the URL to visit the page.
That way, you can see the data and read the post yourself. And then work out how to write something even better.
Of course, you might also be inspired to write other posts. Like a butterfly identification guide.
2. Use Semrush’s Topic Research Tool
With the Topic Research tool, you can enter any blog topic to get a list of subtopics. This can help you generate more specific content ideas.
Click on any subtopic to see the following:
- Top headlines from around the web
- Popular questions people type into Google
- Related searches people type into Google
In this example, you might be inspired to write about the best food for dogs with kidney disease.
Read our guide to learn more about generating content ideas with Topic Research.
3. Ask Your Readers
You can get good blog topic ideas by asking your readers what they want.
When writing your next post, ask them to leave a comment with their suggestions. Or request ideas via your newsletter and social media channels.
Engaging with your audience in this way is a great way to build loyalty. It makes readers feel that their opinion is valued.
4. Discover Talking Points Online
In addition to asking readers directly, you can go to the places they hang out online. This gives you insight into the topics they’re talking about.
Reddit is a good place to look. It’s a network of online communities (or forums).
Just go to reddit.com and search for a relevant topic. You can then visit any interesting communities (their names start with “r/”).
Stay in the “Hot” section to see posts that are popular right now. You can visit the “Top” section to see the most popular posts by time period.
Some communities even have a wiki or other useful resources section.
So, you should find plenty of blog topics to write about.
5. Use Google Trends
Google Trends is a free tool that shows you trending search queries and topics for writing blogs.
To get blog article ideas, go to Google Trends and search a topic. If you want, you can change the location and time period.
The best place to find blog ideas is in the “Related topics” and “Related queries” sections.
View both the “Rising” and “Top” results.
In this example, one of the related queries is “eye makeup.” This would make a good topic idea for a makeup review blog.
Read our Google Trends guide to find out more ways to use it for content creation.
6. Find Commonly Searched Questions
When people have questions, they often go to Google. And you can provide the answer they need in a blog post. This is a great way to increase your traffic.
You can find commonly searched questions using Semrush’s Keyword Magic Tool. Start with a topical keyword then click the “Questions” filter.
This method is particularly useful when you’re not sure how to pick a blog topic. Because it gives additional data that helps you prioritize your ideas.
For example, keyword search volume (the average number of searches for the question each month).
7. Perform Keyword Research
Keyword research is finding words and phrases that people enter into search engines. This tells you what type of content is in demand. And helps you create posts that rank higher in Google.
You’ve already learned how to find questions. But many other kinds of searches could be relevant to your blog.
To get good blog ideas, you need to focus on keywords with the right kind of search intent.
For example, someone searching “buy mattress online” is looking to make a purchase, not read a blog post about different types of mattresses. (So Google doesn’t rank any blog posts highly.)
But someone searching “best mattress for side sleepers” probably is looking to read a blog post. (Which is why Google ranks blog posts higher in the results.)
Blog keywords usually have informational search intent. In other words, the searcher is seeking information. Perhaps an answer to a question.
You can find these types of keywords with Semrush’s Keyword Magic Tool. Just enter a seed keyword related to your topic. Then select “Informational” from the “Intent” dropdown.
Alternatively, you can use keyword modifiers. Here are some words that people frequently use when searching for blog-style content:
Blog post type
how, step by step, dos and don’ts
vs, compare, comparison, which, alternative, best
top, ways, statistics, quotes, tips
review, pros and cons
introduction, 101, what, basics, guide
who, what, where, when, why, how, is, can, should, could, will
gift guide, gift ideas, best gift
cheat sheet, crib sheet
template, download, printable
You can select common modifiers from the left-hand menu or add them to your search using the “Include keywords” filter.
Start Writing Your Next Blog Post
Once you have a blog idea in mind, head over to Semrush’s SEO Writing Assistant. This tool provides actionable tips on improving reader engagement and search engine rankings.
Want to continue learning? Don’t miss these resources: